468x60 Banner banner

22 June 2007

"Blood & Chocolate"

Agnes Bruckner
Olivier Martinez
Hugh Dancy
Katja Riemann
Bryan Dick


PG13           98min           2007

“Blood & Chocolate” based on the book of the same name by Annette Curtis Klause, Is about A young teenage werewolf (Bruckner) is torn between honoring her family's secret and her love for a man (Dancy).

There are major differences in the book and the movie. The book was geared to young females and the movie is more geared to young males. I liked the book but I appreciated the movie better. The film did capture the majestic beautiful of what Klause described.

“Blood & Chocolate” is more of a Romeo and Juliet meets Underworld. It’s a pretty standard film but the appeal for me was watching the realization of a book that I read and could appreciate better. The film rendered the transformation better than I did in my imagination.

The changes to the plot make it truly transparent and I would suggest reading the book if you have the time. Agnes Bruckner,Olivier Martinez, and Hugh Dancy make an interesting triangle, but is heavily slanted in one direction. Agnes Bruckner easily handles being the star of this film and I hope to see more interesting things from here.

The legend of the Loup garoux is what makes this interesting. Having werewolves be blessed creatures instead of being cursed. That if you’re not loup garoux then you will never been is fascinating yet scary at the same time.

I found that there was a deeper message to pick from “Blood & Chocolate” but it also raise many questions. It leaves you to wonder what the future holds for these characters. I think if you never read the book then you can’t really appreciate the film and that contributed to the movie’s failure.

This is one that you must judge for yourself. Having read the book and liked it I could appreciate the movie. I think you need to read the book to understand where the movie is coming from and understand some of the things that are left out but explained in the book. A friend that never read the book didn’t like it because the story was too transparent and the characters were never full developed.

I give it 3/5 Gs.

No comments:

Search Results